** Changed in: pipewire (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pipewire in Ubuntu.

  pipewire-pulse unnecessarily recommends pipewire-alsa to emulate
  pulseaudio's packaging

Status in pipewire package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in pipewire package in Debian:

  Reported to Debian: https://bugs.debian.org/1029377

  pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio can be co-installed on a system, but if
  both are installed at once, the "Recommends: pipewire-alsa" line in
  pipewire-pulse creates a situation where the dependency cannot be
  resolved due to a conflict between pipewire-alsa and pulseaudio. This
  is especially true when both are being seeded in Ubuntu Studio with
  the intent of being switchable via services with a utility such as
  Studio Controls.

  This also causes a regression in https://bugs.debian.org/1020903 in
  which a conflict existed between pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio that
  was unnecessary because, as stated in the bug report, both can be
  installed simultaneously and enabled/disabled via services.

  If Debian does not resolve this upstream, I recommend we fix this in
  our own packaging as to not break workflows. Professional audio users
  cannot use the pipewire-jack system as it does not provide the right
  kind of functionality for some hardware, which is why the switch was
  to be implemented. For example, the alsa backend for jack must be
  disabled for some firewire devices which require the FFADO backend
  instead.

  This has been resolved, hopefully temporarily, by removing pulseaudio
  from Ubuntu Studio's seed. We hope to bring it back, but this issue
  has caused some very unfortunate issues that will become workflow
  issues for our users.

  This was introduced by this commit: https://salsa.debian.org/utopia-
  team/pipewire/-/commit/a221352ddd19e424ff8d4fe15b7ddb601ac1892c