Thanks.

I can still see a lot of unsupported extensions, likely installed as
debs. Although I can't tell if they are enabled. Please open the
extensions app:

  gapplication launch org.gnome.Extensions

and try disabling everything you see there. Then log in again. Does the
bug still occur?

I'm also wondering if Chrome is the trigger of this problem. What if you
never open Chrome?

  mouse pointer becomes laggy after some time and progressively gets
  worse

  Over some period of time after logging in the mouse becomes laggy and
  eventually unusable.

  I generally have a lot of Chrome tabs open.

  The time period can be minutes to maybe an hour.

  I am not sure if Chrome is required to cause the problem yet but I
  have experimented with changed Chrome versions and enable/disable
  hardware acceleration in Chrome and that did not make a difference.

  Package: gnome-shell 42.5-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.3
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Fri Jan 27 23:12:58 2023
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 42.5-0ubuntu1
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to jammy on 2022-06-22 (219 days ago)