I see what you mean, g-c-c should probably provide the "back" button to
be available and not only the "cancel" one.

That's an upstream change, I'd suggest to open an issue at
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/ so that it can be
tracked there.

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

  [lunar] New g-c-c makes display config painful

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Opinion

Bug description:
  Hi,

  Jammy : I can change some elements (frequency, positioning, etc.) THEN apply.
  Lunar : I have to change displays config and positioning by applying on every
element change (1st display, 2nd display, positioning).

  Not a big deal but imo it should be cool to allow users to globally
  apply their changes in display config, as before.