ubuntu 22.10.  Network has no macs, but two samba NASs, one mounted with
GVFS and the other as CIFS in fstab.  Had to kill the process to get my
machine back.

Have been running this network and ubuntu since 07, and never noticed
this bug till now.

After killing the process, I tried to recreate the bug by browsing,
copying to and deleting files on both NASs using both Gnome Files and
Thunar - all worked as it should and no CPU-hog processes show up

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  gvfsd-afp consumes 100% of processor cycles

Status in gvfs package in Ubuntu:

  Happens on an irregular basis on 12.04 and I think I've experienced it
  on 11.10.

  For no reason gvfsd-afp starts up. Cooling fan kicks in, system
  becomes laggy. Easily cured using system monitor and killing the
  process. Someone on the Ubuntu Forum asked if I have a Mac on the
  network and the answer is yes, an iMac and there are shares on that
  machine I can access.

  Have experienced this issue on my Acer Aspire 5742 and Compaq Mini 110