Adding more information:

Similar bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xkeyboard-config/+bug/1895486

For ABNT2 keyboards, I've removed the "Scroll Lock" key to fix this problem,
see:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xkeyboard-config/xkeyboard-config/-/merge_requests/112

Bug tracking in:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/1821

  GNOME hangs while changing display brightness from keyboard shortcut

Status in GNOME Shell:

  Whenever I change my display's brightness using keyboard shortcuts (For me
F11 & F12), Ubuntu hangs a little, the brightness is changed immediately, but
everything (except the mouse) hangs while it is being changed and sometimes for
quite some time after. There is no problem doing it through the system.
Changing volume using keyboard shortcuts works perfectly.
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.8
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200731)
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: gnome-shell 3.36.4-1ubuntu1~20.04.2
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 3.36.4-0ubuntu0.20.04.2
  Tags:  focal
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin lxd plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True