I can verify that in Bionic (with the deb) the application shows in
Gnome's task bar as a separate application, not grouped under Chromium,
and that in Lunar (with the snap) it shows in Gnome's task bar grouped
under the Chromium button.

However,

1. Wmctrl shows that the window classes and names are consistent,

--> Lunar <--
0x01c00003  0 chromium.Chromium
0x01c00011  0 crx_mdpkiolbdkhdjpekf.Chromium

--> Bionic <--
0x01c00003  0 chromium-browser.Chromium-browser
0x01c00019  0 crx_mdpkiolbdkhdjpekf.Chromium-browserChat

2. The bug is absent from both Unity and Icewm (see attachments).

So I think this is a regression in Gnome Shell from Ubuntu 20.04 vs
Ubuntu 18.04.

** Also affects: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "ice.png"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2007652/+attachment/5664797/+files/ice.png

** Attachment added: "unity.png"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2007652/+attachment/5664798/+files/unity.png

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  [snap] PWA don't launch as applications, just another chromium window

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  I have recently converted from deb to snap package of chromium and
  progressive web applications (PWAs) launch just as another window of
  chromium and are not recognized as separate application by the window
  manager (for example when switching using Super+Tab) or dock (grouped
  under chromium windows).

  This is either a regression of the snap package vs deb or ubuntu 20.04
  vs ubuntu 18.04 (I am not able to differentiate between these two
  since both happened together).