Bug #1363150 is one bug used for tracking the original fcitx
integration.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-control-center in Ubuntu.

  Unity's fcitx integration has become obsolete

Status in unity-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  Unity integrates both ibus and fcitx. At least it used to. What I mean
  by that is that if you use e.g. fcitx, you can manage also fcitx input
  sources from Text Entry, and no Fcitx icon is shown in the top bar.

  But time goes by, and the version of fcitx supported by Unity (fcitx
  4) is deprecated and replaced by fcitx 5. As from Ubuntu 21.10
  language-selector-common pulls fcitx 5 for Chinese users instead of
  fcitx 4.

  So something should be done about this. I can think of two options:

  1. Adapt the fcitx integration to work with fcitx 5.

  2. Drop the fcitx integration, and let fcitx 5 do its thing alongside
  Text Entry etc.

  I chose to submit this bug against unity-control-center, but I'm
  pretty sure that more packages are affected.