I think we all understand the direction here, Jeremy. You don't care
about non-paying users.

I'm not sure what being an Ubuntu Member means any more but what the
point if part of that isn't speaking out when there's a problem, and I
have to say that removing freedoms from users is about as big a problem
as it gets for FOSS, especially when the leverage is commercial gain.

What situation or mechanism are we imagining where somebody on an
ubuntu-minimal base can't apt install ubuntu-advantage-tools if they
want ubuntu-advantage-tools? I've no problem with it being bundled in,
an installer question, but as soon as you say "oh you can't get rid of
that", you're not compliant to me. You're telling me what I can and
can't do with my installation, and for no good reason.

I'm writing this now because I've had pushback from client netadmins
demanding to know why these installations are individually phoning home
on a regular basis. Yes I have sensitive clients, they do sensitive
work. So now I have a choice, I either have to hack around your work to
botch it and hope that an update doesn't fix it, or we can't use Ubuntu.

Packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu.

  ubuntu-minimal depends on ubuntu-advantage-tools

Status in ubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  This is counter to #1566183 There is no reason to enforce desktop
  users who manage machine on their own to install ubuntu-advantage-
  tools, especially when this is 'minimal' version.  This should include
  only essential packages to make the OS functional

  Package: ubuntu-minimal 1.450.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-73.82-lowlatency 5.4.106
  Uname: Linux 5.4.0-73-lowlatency x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.18
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip