Public bug reported:

gdm was failing to start for me, because smarcard.desktop was missing

I use yubikey for gpg & ssh, and not for "smartcard authentication".
I tried hard to not have any smartcard login on my gdm screen.
I removed /etc/xdg/autostart/org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Smartcard.desktop which i
think is an allowed action.

I installed updates, gdm didn't start anymore because Smartcard.desktop
is required to start settion and was unable to start it without it.

Doing sudo apt install --reinstall -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confmiss
gnome-settings-daemon ressurected ability to start gdm

But also ressurected Smartcard.desktop.

How do I disable gdm to not attempt smartcard logins, when my system a)
is not enrolled to use or trust any smarcards via pam or anything b) it
is a yubikey with gpg certs c) i want gdm to still show and allow login
with locally configured user despite smartcard plugged in

** Affects: gdm3 (Ubuntu)

** Affects: gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm3 in Ubuntu.

  gdm was failing to start for me, because smarcard.desktop was missing

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu: