@mrvanes: Picking the appropriate affected package is sometimes a trial
and error exercise. This bug is an example of that.

Possibly plasma-desktop isn't the right package. But OTOH that's where
we see the issue, i.e. the refusal to honor the font hinting value. And
by picking plasma-desktop, the Kubuntu developers will see this bug. In
the end we may conclude that it should be reported upstream. But which
upstream? Well, my belief is that the Kubuntu devs have the best insight
in that respect.

I have played a little more with my Kubuntu 23.04 installation. While it
apparently recognizes fontconfig's setting with respect to hinting, I
can confirm that the setting is not honored when rendering. Since it's a
VM, sending screenshots is a bit tricky, so I won't do that. I think you
already have provided sufficient evidence which supports the existence
of an issue.

@Dmitriy: Since you haven't opposed my reply to you, I dropped gnome-
desktop as an affected package. If you experience font rendering issues
in Ubuntu/GNOME, please file a separate bug about that.

** No longer affects: gnome-desktop (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: plasma-desktop (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-desktop in Ubuntu.

  Font hinting broken on Plasma 23.04

Status in plasma-desktop package in Ubuntu:

  Just upgraded my laptops to Kubuntu 23.04 Lunar Lobster and hinting
  for all non-commercial fonts seems broken. I used to have decent if
  not perfect hinting on Ubuntu and Ubuntu Mono font, but now the only
  fonts that still hint correctly are Microsoft's Verdana and Tahoma
  etc. Not sure whether the devide is exactly along this line, but it
  stands out.

  Tried regenerating font cache (fc-cache -rv) but that didn't help.

  Operating System: Kubuntu 23.04
  KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.4
  KDE Frameworks Version: 5.104.0
  Qt Version: 5.15.8
  Kernel Version: 6.3.0 (64-bit)
  Graphics Platform: Wayland
  Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz
  Memory: 31.1 GiB of RAM
  Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics
  Manufacturer: Notebook
  Product Name: N141CU
  System Version: Not Applicable