** Description changed:

  I'm using Ubuntu 23.04, Gnome 44.0, Geany 1.38.

  Occasionally I will copy log files to my $HOME directory to use an
  editor like geany to look through them.

  Any log file should be viewable in Geany, but Geany complains;

  syslog does not look like a text file or the file encoding is not
  supported.

  I've uploaded my syslog file to mediafire, to be inspected, as to why
  this file will not open in geany?

  https://www.mediafire.com/file/fek9690kr8u2aox/syslog.txt/file

  Any file in Linux should work in geany, I've never encountered this
  problem before on other linux distros.

  Please fix this encoding issue in Ubuntu.

  THANKS
+
+ P.S. I have tried different encodings in geany, nothing works...

** Package changed: gvfs (Ubuntu) => geany (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  Geany won't open syslog  - does not look like a text file or the file
  encoding is not supported.

Status in geany package in Ubuntu: