hi fellow ubuntu firefox users,

it happened again and I see no harm in bumping this issue so here we are
:)

I already had a pref file for firefox without any real impact as far as
I can see. I re-run the command "snap disable firefox" and changed from
"Pin-Priority: -10" to "Pin-Priority: -1" as in herrsaalfelds' config
but I only have faint hope ;)

anyway: we shall overcome one day, I sure

kind regards to all at canonical and all of you, fellow firefox friends

cheers !

  Snap keeps uninstalling apt Firefox, and reinstalling snap Firefox

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

   I have looked on various forums including the search features of
  Launchpad, help.ubuntu..com, and Google for answers on this but not been
  able to.

  I have uninstalled the snap of firefox multiple times, installing the real
  Firefox from ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu/, only for a
  few days later (once hours later) for snap to uninstall the real thing and
  install its snap version instead.

  I have tried a basic
     sudo snap remove firefox

  and when that didn't work
     sudo snap disable firefox
     sudo snap remove --purget firefox

  The former should be enough - that's a direct expression of my preferences,
  some thing like "You should have typed sudo snap remove --do-not-reinstall
  --disable-auto-ignore-preferences firefox"  would not resolve this bug.

  When installing using apt-get, the correct version is being installed, and
  snap afterwards does not show the presence of firefox:

  Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/universe amd64
  xul-ext-ubufox all 3.4-0ubuntu1.17.10.1 [3,320 B]
  Get:2 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu jammy/main
  amd64 firefox-locale-en amd64 108.0+build2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~mt1 [831 kB]
  Get:3 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu jammy/main
  amd64 firefox amd64 108.0+build2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~mt1 [64.9 MB]

  Name                       Version                     Rev    Tracking
      Publisher      Notes
  authy                      2.2.2                       12     latest/stable
     twilio-authy   -
  bare                       1.0                         5      latest/stable
     canonical✓     base
  chromium                   108.0.5359.94               2238   latest/stable
     canonical✓     -
  code                       5235c6bb                    114    latest/stable
     vscode✓        classic
  core                       16-2.57.6                   14399  latest/stable
     canonical✓     core
  core18                     20221103                    2632   latest/stable
     canonical✓     base
  core20                     20221123                    1738   latest/stable
     canonical✓     base
  cups                       2.4.2-4                     836    latest/stable
     openprinting✓  -
  gnome-3-28-1804            3.28.0-19-g98f9e67.98f9e67  161    latest/stable
     canonical✓     -
  gnome-3-38-2004            0+git.6f39565               119    latest/stable
     canonical✓     -
  gtk-common-themes          0.1-81-g442e511             1535
  latest/stable/…  canonical✓     -
  onlyoffice-desktopeditors  7.2.1                       133    latest/stable
     onlyoffice✓    -
  snap-store                 41.3-66-gfe1e325            638
   latest/stable/…  canonical✓     -
  snapd                      2.57.6                      17883  latest/stable
     canonical✓     snapd

  /var/lib/snapd/seed/snaps contains (once firefox is removed):

  core18_1880.snap  gnome-3-34-1804_36.snap  gtk-common-themes_1506.snap
   snapd_8542.snap  snap-store_467.snap

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2021/10/prevent-installing-firefox-snap-ubuntu-mate-21-10/
  claims that a similar issue affects Ubuntu MATE 21.04 and the solution was
  to type "sudo apt-mark manual firefox", which I have done, but that has not
  resolved the problem.

  I'm not here to explain why I wouldn't want the snap version, it is clearly
  a bug for snap to accept a command to uninstall something and then
  automatically reinstall it days later without the permission of the user,
  and especially galling that it removes the real version at the same time.

  I have lost data (passwords and history) because of this bug, because one
  of the many faults of the snap version is that it ignores the user's real
  ~/.mozilla profile and creates a shadow profile instead inside of the snap
  system.

  Please disable this behavior. It's obnoxious, it ignores EXPLICITY stated
  user preferences, and it causes the loss of data.

  I am unclear on what package is causing the behavior so for now marking it
  against Firefox, but it could be against some other piece of infrastructure
  related to snap:

   affects ubuntu/firefox