This bug might be another cousin of bug 2017137 and bug 2017097 (both
fixed as part of the 44.1 update). It would happen on either Wayland or
Xorg if the graphics driver doesn't support timestamp queries.

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  [Lunar] Irregular FPS with Path of Exile

Status in Mutter:
  New
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  I'm having a strange issue with the game Path of Exile (free). With Ubuntu
Wayland session, vsync on, I get very irregular frame rates, it jumps around 40
fps.
  If I switch to Plasma Wayland the game is very smooth 60 fps.

  I'm running the game from Steam with Proton. I've tried Proton Experimental
and Proton 8.0 so far, no difference.
  The game uses Vulkan so I guess it's being allowed to set up all the swap and
presentation stuff pretty much itself... ?

  MUTTER_DEBUG_DISABLE_TRIPLE_BUFFERING=1 doesn't help Mutter so it's
  not strictly related to triple buffering, which makes sense since it's
  a full screen game anyway.

  Kernel: 6.2.0-1003-lowlatency
  GPU: Radeon 6800 XT
  CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X