The transitional package uses a versioning schema that is incompatible
with the Firefox release versioning schema, today:

1:1snap1-0ubuntu3

vs

113.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.23.04.1~mt1

which makes apt believe that 1:1snap1-0ubuntu3 is a more recent build
than 113.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.23.04.1~mt1 which it typically isn't.  The
version of the transitional firefox package never changes and does not
reflect the version of what version of Firefox snap installs.

@Sebastian, Your statement "the issue is that people install a firefox
deb which is older than the one provided by Ubuntu" is therefore
obviously false.  You may have misunderstood the situation which is
completely normal.  We all make mistakes all the time.  Please recognize
this and reopen the bug.

  Snap keeps uninstalling apt Firefox, and reinstalling snap Firefox

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
   I have looked on various forums including the search features of
  Launchpad, help.ubuntu..com, and Google for answers on this but not been
  able to.

  I have uninstalled the snap of firefox multiple times, installing the real
  Firefox from ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu/, only for a
  few days later (once hours later) for snap to uninstall the real thing and
  install its snap version instead.

  I have tried a basic
     sudo snap remove firefox

  and when that didn't work
     sudo snap disable firefox
     sudo snap remove --purget firefox

  The former should be enough - that's a direct expression of my preferences,
  some thing like "You should have typed sudo snap remove --do-not-reinstall
  --disable-auto-ignore-preferences firefox"  would not resolve this bug.

  When installing using apt-get, the correct version is being installed, and
  snap afterwards does not show the presence of firefox:

  Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/universe amd64
  xul-ext-ubufox all 3.4-0ubuntu1.17.10.1 [3,320 B]
  Get:2 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu jammy/main
  amd64 firefox-locale-en amd64 108.0+build2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~mt1 [831 kB]
  Get:3 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu jammy/main
  amd64 firefox amd64 108.0+build2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~mt1 [64.9 MB]

  Name                       Version                     Rev    Tracking
      Publisher      Notes
  authy                      2.2.2                       12     latest/stable
     twilio-authy   -
  bare                       1.0                         5      latest/stable
     canonical✓     base
  chromium                   108.0.5359.94               2238   latest/stable
     canonical✓     -
  code                       5235c6bb                    114    latest/stable
     vscode✓        classic
  core                       16-2.57.6                   14399  latest/stable
     canonical✓     core
  core18                     20221103                    2632   latest/stable
     canonical✓     base
  core20                     20221123                    1738   latest/stable
     canonical✓     base
  cups                       2.4.2-4                     836    latest/stable
     openprinting✓  -
  gnome-3-28-1804            3.28.0-19-g98f9e67.98f9e67  161    latest/stable
     canonical✓     -
  gnome-3-38-2004            0+git.6f39565               119    latest/stable
     canonical✓     -
  gtk-common-themes          0.1-81-g442e511             1535
  latest/stable/…  canonical✓     -
  onlyoffice-desktopeditors  7.2.1                       133    latest/stable
     onlyoffice✓    -
  snap-store                 41.3-66-gfe1e325            638
   latest/stable/…  canonical✓     -
  snapd                      2.57.6                      17883  latest/stable
     canonical✓     snapd

  /var/lib/snapd/seed/snaps contains (once firefox is removed):

  core18_1880.snap  gnome-3-34-1804_36.snap  gtk-common-themes_1506.snap
   snapd_8542.snap  snap-store_467.snap

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2021/10/prevent-installing-firefox-snap-ubuntu-mate-21-10/
  claims that a similar issue affects Ubuntu MATE 21.04 and the solution was
  to type "sudo apt-mark manual firefox", which I have done, but that has not
  resolved the problem.

  I'm not here to explain why I wouldn't want the snap version, it is clearly
  a bug for snap to accept a command to uninstall something and then
  automatically reinstall it days later without the permission of the user,
  and especially galling that it removes the real version at the same time.

  I have lost data (passwords and history) because of this bug, because one
  of the many faults of the snap version is that it ignores the user's real
  ~/.mozilla profile and creates a shadow profile instead inside of the snap
  system.

  Please disable this behavior. It's obnoxious, it ignores EXPLICITY stated
  user preferences, and it causes the loss of data.

  I am unclear on what package is causing the behavior so for now marking it
  against Firefox, but it could be against some other piece of infrastructure
  related to snap:

   affects ubuntu/firefox