** Description changed:

- I installed mutter 44.1 and gnome-shell 44.1 from proposed, and a few of
- other related dependencies. I don't have everything at 44.1, I don't
- know if we should expect more gnome-related updates in lunar-proposed.
- For example, I have
+ Impact
+ ------
+ Mutter 44.1 switched from using the GL renderer to using Cairo to avoid
rendering artifacts with the Nvidia drivers. However, this also needed a change
in GTK4 to avoid other artifacts.

- gnome-shell-extension-prefs 44.1-0ubuntu1
+ https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/merge_requests/2976

- but gnome-shell-extensions is at 44.0-1
+ https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/merge_requests/5857

- Anyway, I wanted to report that I'm now seeing artifacts around window
- borders, when they are arranged to occupy all available area. I should
- note I'm also using gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-tiling-assistant
- 39-3ubuntu2.
+ Test Case
+ ---------
+ Install gnome-shell 44.1 (currently in lunar-proposed).
+ Install this gtk4 update.
+ After installing the updates, log out and log back in.
+ Open a terminal and the Chromium web browser.
+ Tile the terminal to the left and tile Chromium to the right.
+
+ Verify that there aren't rectangle rendering artifacts near the border
+ between the two apps.
+
+ What Could Go Wrong
+ -------------------
+ This is a one-line patch, cherry-picked from the gtk-4-10 branch that will be
included in GTK 4.10.4 (which is expected to be released any day now). This
puts us just a bit ahead of some other distros.
+
+ See the master bug LP: #2020708 for more details about what it means to
+ update GTK4.
+
+ Excerpt from Original Report
+ ----------------------------
+ I wanted to report that I'm now seeing artifacts around window borders, when
they are arranged to occupy all available area. I should note I'm also using
gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-tiling-assistant 39-3ubuntu2.

  I'm attaching a screen recording of what I'm seeing.

  The artifact at the border also happens across monitors. The tall chrome
  window on the right of the left monitor interferes with the windows
  aligned to the left of the right monitor.

  This happened immediately after updating mutter and gnome shell to 44.1,
  it wasn't happening before.

  So far I'm seeing them with just google-chrome and chromium (snap), but
  not other apps I quickly tried (gnome-terminal, firefox).

  Package: libmutter-12-0 44.1-0ubuntu1
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
Packages, which is subscribed to gtk4 in Ubuntu.

  Artifacts at window borders with mutter 44.1

Status in GTK+:
  Unknown
Status in gtk4 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in gtk4 source package in Lunar:

  Impact
  ------
  Mutter 44.1 switched from using the GL renderer to using Cairo to avoid
rendering artifacts with the Nvidia drivers. However, this also needed a change
in GTK4 to avoid other artifacts.

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/merge_requests/2976

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/merge_requests/5857

  Test Case