about firefox it has a custom titlebar - the UI packs the tabs on the
titlebar in order to save screen space.  google chrome is the same and
also an exception to the bug.

about the snap, it appear to have permission structures involving UI-
related middleware (I am guessing), so fixing the interactive user UI
session may have left the middleware unfixed/inconsistent?

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  Single click on title bar does not transfer focus to target window
  (server side decorations in Xorg sessions)

Status in Mutter:
  Fix Released
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in mutter source package in Lunar:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Impact
  ------
  Single clicking the title bar of windows without a complex title bar (namely
a title bar with additional buttons besides the close/maximinze/minimize) does
not transfer focus to them.

  Test Case
  ---------
  1. Open gnome-terminal.
  2. Run xedit.
  3. Focus gnome-terminal.
  4. Click Xedit's title bar.

  Expected: Xedit has focus.
  Observed: gnome-terminal retains focus.
  .
  5. Focus Xedit.
  6. Click gnome-terminal's title bar.

  Expected and observed: Xedit relinquishes focus and gnome-terminal
  gets focus.

  Other Info
  ----------
  I can reproduce this in my main, up to date Lunar system in Xorg and also in
a virtual machine with the 2023-03-24 09:02 iso
(https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/lunar-desktop-amd64.iso).

  What Could Go Wrong
  -------------------
  This fix is included in the upstream mutter 44.1 release. See LP: #2020225
for more details.

  Package: gnome-shell 44.0-2ubuntu2
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Mar 29 11:53:02 2023
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20220419)
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 44.0-2ubuntu2
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to lunar on 2023-01-17 (70 days ago)