As mentioned in OP, here is the screenshot showing context of entire
desktop, with bright green hiding personal information.

** Attachment added: "Screenshot showing context of entire desktop"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/2026194/+attachment/5684056/+files/Screenshot%20from%202023-07-05%2011-53-20.png

  When clicking on some maximized or tiled windows, focus on roughly the
  lower quarter falls to the window behind

  Initially I thought this was an issue with IntelliJ and filed a bug there:

https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-323780/Maximizing-the-the-window-sometimes-causes-clicks-on-a-lower-fraction-to-pass-through-to-the-window-behind

  But when I had the same issue with GIMP, I realized it's an Ubuntu or
  GNOME issue instead. I am assuming this is a gnome-shell problem.

  Every once in a while, when I maximize or tile (Win+Right) the IntelliJ
window, a bottom fraction of the window (somewhere around a quarter) becomes
impossible to interact with, with the mouse. Clicking in that lower area will
give focus to the thing behind IntelliJ, and if it's a window, raise it to the
foreground. if I restore the window so that it is not maximized, the entire
window is interactive with the mouse once again.

  This also happened with GIMP.

  The attached "Screencast" is a recording. I had to crop it to hide personal
information. The attached screenshot shows the state of my screen so you have
context, with a bright green color used to replace personal information.

  For the first 10s of the recording, I simply moused over to show how
  the cursor changes around a quarter from the bottom of the screen.

  For the next 10s, I left click, then move, then left click, then move,
  until focus changes to Sublime, the window behind IntelliJ.

  For the remainder of the video I show that right-clicking and mousing
  over works fine on the top three quarters, until I reach the bottom
  again, and then the right click is sent to Sublime.

  Ubuntu 23.04
  gnome-shell version 44.2-0ubuntu1

  Package: gnome-shell 44.2-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Jul  5 12:05:46 2023
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20220809.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   SHELL=/usr/bin/zsh
   TERM=screen-256color
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 44.2-0ubuntu1
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell