> "Atomic update failure" may also be specific to the OLED panel that it
> looks like Andreas is using. I have one of those but have never run Xorg
> on it.

FWIW, I'm using two external 4k Dell monitors via usb-c, plus the laptop
panel also at its max resolution (a bit lower then the monitors:
2880x1800 instead of 3840x2160), everything at 100% scaling.

But I have seen those "Atomic update failure" messages while at a
sprint, where I only had my laptop and no external monitor. Back then,
another symptom was the screen shifting a few pixels at random time, as
if in an earthquake. I filed a kernel bug, and even found what looked
like a patch we didn't have yet, but failed to pursue it as back home
with the external monitor, that screen shifting problem didn't appear
anymore. I"m trying to find that bug at the moment.

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  Xorg 100% CPU and frozen desktop after closing chromium

Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:

  chromium                   118.0.5966.0      2604   latest/edge

  Whenever I use chromium in a video session (meet, youtube) that used
  hardware acceleration, for a long time (like 20min or more), and then
  close it, the whole desktop freezes, and the laptop fan turns on.
  Logging in remotely I see that Xorg is at 100% CPU.

  The rest of the system is operational, but nothing graphical is. Just
  the mouse cursor moves around.

  SOMETIMES, if I wait a few minutes, Xorg resumes behaving normally,
  and I can use the desktop again, but most of the time I have to login
  remotely and kill -9 xorg (plain kill won't do it).

  With wayland, this does not happen. This could very well be an Xorg
  bug, but filing here first for visibility.

  $ lsgpu
  card0                    Intel Alderlake_p (Gen12)         drm:/dev/dri/card0
  └─renderD128

  $ lscpu
  Architecture:            x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
    Address sizes:         46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    Byte Order:            Little Endian
  CPU(s):                  16
    On-line CPU(s) list:   0-15
  Vendor ID:               GenuineIntel
    Model name:            12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1270P
      CPU family:          6
      Model:               154
      Thread(s) per core:  2
      Core(s) per socket:  12
      Socket(s):           1
      Stepping:            3
      CPU(s) scaling MHz:  41%
      CPU max MHz:         4800,0000
      CPU min MHz:         400,0000
      BogoMIPS:            4992,00
      Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
pdp
                           e1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs
bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni
pclmulqd
                           q dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg
fma cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes
xsave a
                           vx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault
epb ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp ibrs_enhanced tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
ept_
                           ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms
invpcid rdseed adx smap clflushopt clwb intel_pt sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1
xsaves
                            split_lock_detect avx_vnni dtherm ida arat pln pts
hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp hwp_pkg_req hfi umip pku ospke waitpkg
gfni
                           vaes vpclmulqdq tme rdpid movdiri movdir64b fsrm
md_clear serialize pconfig arch_lbr ibt flush_l1d arch_capabilities
  Virtualization features:
    Virtualization:        VT-x
  Caches (sum of all):
    L1d:                   448 KiB (12 instances)
    L1i:                   640 KiB (12 instances)
    L2:                    9 MiB (6 instances)
    L3:                    18 MiB (1 instance)
  NUMA:
    NUMA node(s):          1
    NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-15
  Vulnerabilities:
    Itlb multihit:         Not affected
    L1tf:                  Not affected
    Mds:                   Not affected
    Meltdown:              Not affected
    Mmio stale data:       Not affected
    Retbleed:              Not affected
    Spec store bypass:     Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass disabled via
prctl
    Spectre v1:            Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user
pointer sanitization
    Spectre v2:            Mitigation; Enhanced IBRS, IBPB conditional, RSB
filling, PBRSB-eIBRS SW sequence
    Srbds:                 Not affected
    Tsx async abort:       Not affected

  Package: chromium-browser (not installed)
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME