> Right, they are not loaded by Language Support because it grabs the
old value from something called accountsservice. So you kind of mess it
up if you change those variables in ~/.pam_environment manually.

Do you know how to do that with terminal commands so it can be scripted?

> But if you check it with the locale command, you'll find that the
Canadian locales are in effect.

Thanks, it is working! It possible to manually edit ~/.pam_environment,
it will show up in `locale` after you have signed out and signed back
in. However, you don't know 100% what is added by the gnome-language-
selector -> Regional Formats, the "Display numbers, dates and currency
in the usual format for" list. Therefore a command line option to change
the user locale would be useful.

> I have to ask: What is it you try to actually achieve?

I'm trying to change the locale from the command line so distros can be
configured with scripts, because GUIs are inconvenient when you are
evaluating a lot of distros in virt-manager.

Packages, which is subscribed to language-selector in Ubuntu.

  [Feature request]: Command line option

Status in language-selector package in Ubuntu:

  The settings for gnome-language-selector -> Regional Formats in the
  "Display numbers, dates and currency in the usual format for" list,
  are stored in ~/.pam_environment

  # How is it possible to make the DE reload the new values from
~/.pam_environment
  So it's possible to modify ~/.pam_environment with a script. But how do you
update the system to use the changes? Not even reboot worked. This issue can
manually be evaluated in order to make sure that the file content is correct:
  * `locale` variables is set to "en_US" -- if you installed the distro with
the default settings
  * Set gnome-language-selector -> Regional Formats in the "Display numbers,
dates and currency in the usual format for" list to "English (Canada)"
  * Press on the Close button
  * `locale` variables is set to "en_US"
  * cp ~/.pam_environment ~/.pam_environment-canada
  * Set gnome-language-selector -> Regional Formats in the "Display numbers,
dates and currency in the usual format for" list to "English (United States)"
  * cp ~/.pam_environment-canada ~/.pam_environment
  * Open gnome-language-selector -> Regional Formats, the "Display numbers,
dates and currency in the usual format for" is still set to "English (United
States)"
  * Log out/log in
  * `locale` variables is set to "en_CA"
  * Open gnome-language-selector -> Regional Formats, the "Display numbers,
dates and currency in the usual format for" is still set to "English (United
States)"
  * Reboot
  * Open gnome-language-selector -> Regional Formats, the "Display numbers,
dates and currency in the usual format for" is still set to "English (United
States)"

  How do you make the DE load the new settings from ~/.pam_environment
  to be visible in gnome-language-selector -> Regional Formats, the
  "Display numbers, dates and currency in the usual format for" list?

  # [Feature request]: Implement command line option
  Implemented command line options, for both user and system-wide settings,
would be useful.