Can confirm that issue here with a Mate Mantic session (default ubuntu config)
The first game run works as expected; if we run a second game, the mouse click
works, then the others cant be done. Closing mahjongg and restarted it does not
help. The whole session has to be closed and reopened to be able to run a
mahjongg game, but the next run will fails again. With such a case, nor the
keyboard nor the mouse are active.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-mahjongg in Ubuntu.

  gnome-mahjongg locks up with high cpu usage on the second game played
  after one or two moves

Status in gnome-mahjongg package in Ubuntu:

  I encountered  this behaviour earlier during development of mantic and
  opened a bug  which I closed when the behaviour stopped .. later
  during development .. unfortunately I have to file this bug again as
  the problem has returned.. it has also been reported for an earlier
  version of gnome-mahjongg as well

  Package: gnome-mahjongg 1:3.40.0-1
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Sat Oct 14 17:57:49 2023
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 23.10 "Mantic Minotaur" - Daily amd64 (20231004)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
   LANGUAGE=en_CA:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)