I don't see how this debate is apropos. Whether or not the passwords are
stored in the clear, or obscured with symmetric encryption using hard
coded parameters in chrome is irrelevant. Both of these scenarios are
entirely unacceptable.

That said, the answer here afaik is they're stored with a key generated
with pbkdf2 using a password of "peantus" and a salt of "saltysalt" and
1 iteration. I think that because I know 100% this is how the Cookies
work having examined the source in OSCrypt which is in os_crypt_linux.cc
which I assume handles passwords too.

Ubuntu is the most popular Linux desktop. It's use is not unique from
either OSX or Windows (which uses DPAPI). Both of which have entirely
superior solutions to this problem and do not store passwords in clear
text, or with hard-coded symmetric encryption. That's not the default
anyway.

That all said, I will extend https://github.com/EvanCarroll/xbrowser/ to
support decoding passwords soon.

So you'll have a tool you can run.. The command will be simple,

    xbrowser export chrome passwords

And you'll be able to dump all the passwords.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  [snap] Doesn't store encrypted passwords unless interface is connected

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  In the Snap package of Chromium, Chromium is not protecting passwords
  with gnome-keyring (or KWallet).

  As a result, copying the Chromium profile directory from the snap
  directory gives access to all stored passwords. This is a HIGH
  security risk. Regular users who are used to storing their passwords
  in browsers are probably unaware of this.

  Note that Chromium is started with the command line option
  “--password-store=basic”. This hack should never have been released to
  the public.

  The Chromium documentation states:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/linux/password_storage.md