I "fixed" this problem by switching from gedit to gnome-text-editor.
People say it's the successor to gedit and is recommended as the
default.

Packages, which is subscribed to gtksourceview4 in Ubuntu.

  Dark themes don't work well with highlighted current line in gedit

Status in GtkSourceView:
  Fix Released
Status in Yaru Theme:
  New
Status in gtksourceview4 package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in yaru-theme package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gtksourceview4 source package in Jammy:
  Confirmed
Status in yaru-theme source package in Jammy:

  In order to checkout out an old bug report I started gedit, enabled
  "Highlight current line" and changed the application theme to "Yaru-
  dark" The current line is highlighted correctly but the text is
  unreadable because it is too light. The text needs to be much darker.

  This is not a theme that I would normally use so I'm not too bothered
  about how the problem is fixed but this configuration makes gedit very
  difficult to use as you can't actually see the text that you're
  adding, changing or deleting.

  Package: yaru-theme-gtk 19.10.4
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Sat Dec 21 16:33:03 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" - Alpha amd64 (20190517)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: yaru-theme
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2019-11-08 (42 days ago)