I found a workaround to this problem.
It really seems to be caused by the sandboxed version of Chromium when you 
install it as a snap.
As I wasn't able to find any PPA for Chromium and Ubuntu 23.04, I made the 
decision to give the official Google Chrome a try.
When I install e.g. Microsoft Teams as a PWA, it now appears correctly in the 
dash (as a separate app, with the right icon).

Not very happy about this resolution, since I try to stick to OSS as much as 
possible, but in this case I saw no other way.
It would be great if this sandboxing issue could be solved somehow, especially 
if you are enforcing users to install the Snap version of Chromium.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2040290

Title:
  [Snap] PWA icon not shown in Ubuntu Dock

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  When I install a Progressive Web App (PWA) using the Chromium Browser (Snap 
118.0.5993.88) the app gets added correctly to the application list (the one 
that appears when you press the Windows key twice) from which it can be opened.
  However, when you open the application it is not shown as a separate 
application in the Ubuntu Dock (on the left) but seems like a regular second 
window of Chromium.
  Additionally, the icon of the PWA is not shown. 
  I added a screenshot to visualize my problem exemplarily using Spotify.

  This makes switching between multiple PWAs a lot more complicated,
  since you have to iterate through all open PWAs and other Chromium
  windows.

  I guess this is a bug, because on my Manjaro-Gnome system Chromium
  PWAs appear as separate applications with the correct icon in the dock
  (Dash-To-Dock extension).

  I'm using Ubuntu 23.04

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/2040290/+subscriptions


-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to