Dave, this issue still affects gnome-software which is still used by some
Ubuntu desktop flavors as of 23.10. I intend to propose soon that
1) those flavors switch to the firmware-updater snap or the GNOME Firmware app
for 24.04 LTS
2) allowing me to drop the firmware support
3) perhaps it would then be possible to stop GNOME Software from continually
running in the background.

- Ubuntu's unattended-upgrades, update-manager, etc. handle updating .deb's.
- Snaps automatically update themselves.
- The default install did not have a way to automatically check for firmware
updates though, which was considered a critical enough need that the Ubuntu
Desktop team did not override the app always running in the background.

However, it looks like Flatpak does not have its own auto update
mechanism currently. Hmmm…

On a second note, this issue is also marked as affecting snap-store-
desktop which is the project for the older Snap Store still used in
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  The snap-store is using hundreds of MiBs of RAM.

Status in GNOME Software:
  New
Status in snap-store-desktop:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  The snap-store process is intermittently using hundreds of megabytes
  of RAM.  Is this normal? Is there a solution?

  Ubuntu 20.04