I made a lot of tests and found out that this is probably a UI bug in
gnome-control-center, I'll update the title and description now

** Also affects: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- Empathy creates a bogus and nonfunctional gtalk account
+ Pre-existing empathy gtalk account clashes with the "online-accounts" one

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Pre-existing empathy gtalk account clashes with the "online-accounts"
  one

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  Empathy creates a second gtalk account, identical to the first one...
  when launching empathy it fails to connect with the bogus account, and
  thus displays an error

  after removing this account and logging off and on again, it appears
  again (but not more than one time: it doesn't cumulate between logins,
  it'll just create a single copy of the normal gtalk account)

  this doesn't happen with the other (facebook, bonjour, msn) accounts
  that I've configured

  Package: empathy 3.3.4-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 1.91-0ubuntu1