Everything was running fine until this evening. Nothing obvious that
could have triggered it.

I did not have any extensions in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions,
so I disabled all of the ones found through gnome-extensions list
--enabled. It reduced the CPU usage of the gnome-shell process a bit,
but didn't change the overall high usage.

I recorded a few seconds of CPU usage graph for the top 5 processes with
high CPU load according to htop and plotted a graph using procpath (see
attachment).

You can see that multiple processes are affected and have insanely high
CPU load.

Processes are:
2447  - /usr/bin/pulseaudio
2589  - /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg
2771  - /usr/bin/gnome-shell
4641  - /snap/chromium/...
32369 - /usr/share/dbeaver-ce

I killed all of them, including gnome-shell and X, but it didn't change
the overall behaviour. Killing X (logging back in again after that),
resulted in low CPU load across all 8 cores, but as soon as I started
chromium it went up to 100% on all cores and stayed like that for at
least 45 seconds.

All while everything GUI related appears super laggy.

My guess is, that something is faulty around X, maybe even at a lower
level.

** Attachment added: "procpath plot"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/2047696/+attachment/5737445/+files/cpu.svg

  [Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2] Entire system becomes laggy for unknown
  reason

  Similar to whats described in
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/2032847 the system became super
  laggy since yesterday. It seems like something fundamental is
  affected. It can happen for typing, switching between tabs in browser
  (chrome or firefox), VS code (switching tabs, code highlighting),
  opening and closing applications, opening a new tmux session.
  Everything takes super long.

  Starting chromium or vs code will result in 100% cpu usage on all 8
  cores according to htop for many seconds until it settles to stay
  around 30 to 50% all the time. Even opening a new browser tab causes
  comparable CPU load. But the described behaviour also happens without
  running chromium or vs code. Restarting gnome shell or gdm3 doesn't
  help. Switching back to Wayland doesn't help, there I even get mouse
  freezing.

  In summary, it seems like something multiplies the CPU usage of a lot
  of different processes. I've never seen anything like that.

  Yesterday I thought it could be the SSD breaking, because even booting
  (only after restart) took very long. But fsck before booting didn't
  show any problems. A full shutdown made it go away yesterday, and it
  seemed it would only appear again when I get notifications from Slack
  running in chromium, so I disabled it and was able to finish the work
  day.

  Today it started out well, I switched Slack to Firefox. But then it
  appeared again and now a shutdown doesn't fix it anymore. I know, it
  sounds funny, but I'm out of ideas even to narrow the source of the
  problem down and I really need this machine to work for work.

  Since yesterday I updated a system package called gjs (manually, since
  it was held back in sudo apt upgrade), which seems to be related to
  gnome-shell, it appears with quite high CPU usage in htop.

  I attached the output of journalctl -b0 and memfree -h, as this was
  asked in the thread mentioned above.

  Package: gnome-shell 42.9-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 6.2.0-39.40~22.04.1-generic 6.2.16
  Uname: Linux 6.2.0-39-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown