Hello,

The reported version of Firefox (100.0.2) is rather old at this point,
and could be a potential security risk: to my knowledge, Mozilla don't
backport bug fixes to older versions of Firefox (except for the current
Firefox ESR series), and many security and non-security related issues
have since been reported and fixed in later Firefox versions.  Thus, I
would highly recommend considering updating your system packages,
including Firefox, to latest versions and then try again - your issue
may already have been fixed in a newer version of Firefox.

If the issue still persists with up-to-date Firefox and system packages,
I would echo Seb's recommendation of reporting the bug upstream at
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org, and include a performance profile per
https://profiler.firefox.com as well.

Searching through Bugzilla, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/1733377 came
up, but I'm not sure whether or not it's the same issue.  Please feel
free to comment on that and/or open a new issue.

  Firefox utilizing 100% of station CPU

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  At a high level, in certain instances we’re experiencing sustained
  abnormally high (100%) CPU utilization from Firefox.  This utilization
  is competing with other critical application processes on the systems,
  starving them of resources, causing issues in the application
  processing.  This happens, at times, when the browser should be idle,
  even.

  We have not isolated this issue to be a bug with firefox itself or an issue
with the webpage content being provided to the browser. Regardless, here are
the symptoms:
      * CPU usage is extremely high for the FireFox process (>100% on average
vs <10% average for healthy stations) even while the screen is sitting idle (no
animations, user interactions, etc.)
     * We have isolated the thread within FireFox causing the most CPU usage to
the Renderer thread with the SwComposite threads also consuming abnormally high
CPU.
     * In the FireFox Task and Process Managers, we have validated there is no
single tab or window consuming abnormally high CPU, just the FireFox master
process.
     * Additionally, we have confirmed that the FireFox browser history (taken
from the places.sqlite file) does not have any webpages being loaded during the
times when CPU consumption experiences a step function change up or down.
     * We also have linux perf logs for the FireFox process on healthy stations
and impacted stations while sitting idle on the login screen, which can provide
some stack traces for the Renderer and other threads which may be more useful
to someone with FireFox expertise.
     * The biggest difference is that the impacted workcells have the Renderer
and Compositor 'tracks' very active while the healthy workcells see no usage of
these tracks at all.
     * These 2 tracks also have supporting tracks such as SwComposite and
WRRendererBackend#X. There were 2 of each of these, which may indicate the
issue is happening across both FireFox windows. For reference, the stations
always have 2 windows open: one for the screen UI and one for the projector on
the pod face.
     * (Using the term 'track' here as defined by the open source FireFox
profiler: https://profiler.firefox.com/. Basically a thread within the FireFox
main process)
     * There are many memory copy and SW interrupt calls being made in these
tracks.
     * This validates that FireFox is contributing to increased software
interrupt load
     * Additionally, we found an interesting pair of calls occurring
periodically in the Renderer track. We have not deep dived these yet, but on
the off chance it matters, we're including it in this report:
     * viaduct_log_error - every 50 - 500ms
     * wgpu_render_pass_end_pipeline_statistics_query - every 50 - 1000ms