The verification of the Stable Release Update for transmission has
completed successfully and the package is now being released to
-updates.  Subsequently, the Ubuntu Stable Release Updates Team is being
unsubscribed and will not receive messages about this bug report.  In
the event that you encounter a regression using the package from
-updates please report a new bug using ubuntu-bug and tag the bug report
regression-update so we can easily find any regressions.

Packages, which is subscribed to transmission in Ubuntu.

  transmission-daemon high RAM usage

Status in transmission package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in transmission source package in Jammy:
  Fix Released
Status in transmission source package in Lunar:
  Fix Released
Status in transmission package in Debian:

  [ Impact ]

  There is a memory leak in transmission-daemon that was introduced by a
  faulty openssl3 patch. It has been reported that it's noticeable after
  a few hours of seeding/downloading torrent files, less than a day.

  [ Test Plan ]

  Being a memory leak, there is no immediate/quick test that can be
  performed, other than letting it run for a few hours and measure
  memory consumption "before" and "after". comment #5 mentions about 1Gb
  of RAM after 18h of runtime. #comment 14 mentions 12Gb of RAM, but not
  for how long it was running.

  comment #20 says that after 24h using the patched version from a PPA
  build, the memory consumption was steady at 300Mb.

  I'd suggest a 24h test and that it should stay under 1Gb of RAM.

  [ Where problems could occur ]

  The patch loads the default and legacy openssl3 providers. This will
  potentially change the set of algorithms available to the application,
  compared to what was there before. That being said, the legacy
  provider is a conservative approach, and the likely result is that
  *more* algorithms will become available, and not less. This is also
  the approach I have seen in other applications that were rebuilt using
  openssl3 instead of openssl1.1.

  It does seem safer than the original patch, which was manually
  handling ciphers, in particular RC4, and, well, introduced the memory
  leak.

  [ Other Info ]

  Patch came from gentoo.

  [ Original Description ]
  Transmission uses a lot of RAM in ubuntu 22.04 server (arm64) runnign on a
Raspberry Pi 4.

  It "eats" RAM and the RAM usage grows each hour until it crashes the
  system.

  I sideloaded transmission-daemon and its dependancies from debian 11
  (arm64) locked the packages so apt won't update them and, ever since,
  this issue hasn't happened.

  Release:        22.04