  I expect gdm and the shell to be responsive but they freeze forcing me to
reboot. Sometimes I'm able to use them but it takes some time to load.

  After taking a look at the journal, I see lots of messages like this:
  #0   564c4df768c8 i   resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/init.js:21 (1c387d470ba0
@ 48)
  nov 07 09:18:55 perseus gnome-shell[3600]: Attempting to run a JS callback
during garbage collection. This is most likely caused by destroying a Clutter
actor or GTK widget with ::destroy signal connected, or using the destroy(),
dispose(), or remove() vfuncs. Because it would crash the application, it has
been blocked.
                                             The offending callback was
AsyncReadyCallback().
                                             == Stack trace for context
0x564c4deaab90 ==
                                             #0   564c4df768c8 i
resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/init.js:21 (1c387d470ba0 @ 48)
  nov 07 09:18:55 perseus gnome-shell[3600]: Attempting to call back into JSAPI
during the sweeping phase of GC. This is most likely caused by not destroying a
Clutter actor or Gtk+ widget with ::destroy signals connected, but can also be
caused by using the destroy(), dispose(), or remove() vfuncs. Because it would
crash the application, it has been blocked and the JS callback not invoked.
                                             The offending signal was
g-properties-changed on GDBusProxy 0x564c4fec8670.
                                             == Stack trace for context
0x564c4deaab90 ==

  On successful boots this seems to auto resolve, being followed by this
message:
  nov 07 09:21:56 perseus dbus-daemon[1758]: [session uid=1000 pid=1758]
Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.gnome'
  nov 07 09:21:56 perseus systemd[1722]: Started
xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.service - Portal service (GNOME implementation).