Just for completeness:

> I still do not understand why manually removing the -Z flags failed.

Actually that had failed on the 32-bit ARMv7. ARMv8 had failed because
of connection and I didn't care to trigger it again so I assumed it
would fail for the same reason.

Turns out that is not the case: ARMv7 just failed again[1] (after 88 h
building...) with the same error with the RUSTC_BOOTSTRAP strategy,
while ARMv8, as said in last comment, succeeds.

So that is a separate issue.

[1]
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/710577930/buildlog_snap_ubuntu_jammy_armhf_chromium-
rust_BUILDING.txt.gz

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Newer rustc version needed in jammy to build chromium updates

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in rustc package in Ubuntu:

  The next chromium version is making rustc mandatory to build. Chromium
  is a snap built from core22 so using the jammy packages, the build is
  currently failing because it needs libprofiler_builtins.rlib which
  isn't available.

  Upstream provides toolchain builds that can be used but only for amd64 so
currently the snap is failing to build on arm
  https://launchpad.net/~chromium-team/+snap/chromium-snap-from-source-beta

  The version upstream is using is 1.75 but it's possible that a lower
  version would be enough for now if libprofiler was enabled