I think the selection of colours in the palette should actually precede
the bit to change the colours on the profile in the tab to set colours
for the profile if you need to fiddle with that first.

It nowhere actually explicitly says, in the "Help" documentation,
something to the effect "having set up the pallet to include the desired
colours you want to work with in your profiles then select the colour
combinations you want for each profile's foreground and background,
default, bold and enhanced by ..."

I did it by dragging to foreground and background from the pallet. It
did the trick so I assumed that was correct but nothing seems to say
that.

Hope that is helpful.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  Prefences does not work properly on new profiles

Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:

  After creating a new profile, "preferences" does not work correctly. I
  want to have a selection of profiles as I log in to a variety of
  systems and want the background colours to quickly distinguish as to
  which host server a given terminal is connected to.

  For example I have an entry on my desktop "Window to UH" which
  invokes:

  Exec=gnome-terminal --profile=UH -e 'ssh -X -l jcollins -e none
  star.herts.ac.uk'

  I want UH profile to hack a background of light blue and use a
  distinctive font and size.

  However after creating the profile and setting about changing the font
  and colours, I find that the font selection is greyed out and attempts
  to change the colour selections fail.

  I can work around this by using "dconf-editor", working through to the
  profile and changing the font and colours "by hand" but this is
  unwieldy.

  There would seem to be a bug in the preferences menu entry introduced
  between 20.10 and 22.04.

  Package: gnome-terminal 3.44.0-1ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 6.5.0-14.14~22.04.1-generic 6.5.3
  Uname: Linux 6.5.0-14-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Jan 23 12:40:19 2024
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20230807.2)
  SourcePackage: gnome-terminal