Thanks for your feedback, I feel less alone.
Can you mark that this issue affects you at the top of this page (under the
issue description)?

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  gvfs-disks2-volume-monitor and gsd-housekeeping processes can eat a
  lot of CPU with k3s workload

Status in gvfs package in Ubuntu:

  On Ubuntu 22.04.3 desktop, when running a k3s workload that uses volumes
(using default local-path storageClass), process gvfs-disks2-volume-monitor can
take around 100% of one CPU core, and process gsd-housekeeping around 25% of
one CPU core.
  Even if the actual k3s workload is idle.

  Steps To Reproduce:

  - Use or install a desktop Ubuntu 22.04.3 (with default settings)
  - Install K3s on it (current version is "v1.28.4+k3s2"), with default
settings: "curl -sfL https://get.k3s.io | sh -"
  - Deploy k8s manifests with many volumes, like
https://gitlab.com/-/snippets/3634487: "wget
https://gitlab.com/-/snippets/3634487/raw/main/deployment-with-many-volumes.yaml
 && sudo k3s kubectl apply -f deployment-with-many-volumes.yaml"
  - Check CPU consumption on the host, with top, gnome-system-monitor or
anything else

  Expected behavior:
  Gnome desktop tools should not interfere with k3s.

  Actual behavior:
  Processes gvfs-disks2-volume-monitor and gsd-housekeeping consume a lot of
CPU, at least at provisioning time.
  Same CPU consumption if you then remove the workload ("sudo k3s kubectl
delete -f deployment-with-many-volumes.yaml"), until the PVs are deleted by k3s.
  I have other workloads (with data in PVs) where this CPU consumption is
always there, when the workload is running (even if idle)

  Additional context:
  The symptoms are very similar to https://github.com/k3s-io/k3s/issues/522,
but the workaround of comment
https://github.com/k3s-io/k3s/issues/522#issuecomment-811737023 (adding a udev
rule to ignore some loopback devices) does not help.

  Executing "systemctl stop --user gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor" can be a
  temporary workaround

  Technical details:
  k3s uses containerd to run containers. The local-path storageClass mounts
local volumes (physically stored in /var/lib/rancher/k3s/storage subfolders) in
these containers.
  I suppose gnome applications try to scan these mount points. In this case,
the solution might be to make them ignore them, a bit like
https://github.com/moby/moby/blob/master/contrib/udev/80-docker.rules does for
docker

  NB: Was initially reported on
  https://github.com/k3s-io/k3s/issues/9093