Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

** Changed in: chromium-browser (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Stop using --video-capture-use-gpu-memory-buffer flag in beta/edge
  builds

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Looking at https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/an-overview-of-hardware-
  acceleration-in-chromium/36672, a couple of flags are added for beta
  and edge channel builds of Chromium to enable VAAPI.

  You may want to remove the flag --video-capture-use-gpu-memory-buffer
  from the builds, as it completely breaks webcam input:

  ERROR:video_capture_impl.cc(501)] Failed to open GpuMemoryBuffer
  handle

  It can be worked around by creating ~/.chromium-browser.init and
  adding CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--disable-video-capture-use-gpu-memory-buffer"
  to it, but that is not exactly user friendly (and rather redundant).

  Upstream the Chromium developers say that the --video-capture-use-gpu-
  memory-buffer flag is broken and that packagers should no longer be
  using it.

  https://issues.chromium.org/issues/40279468

  >> Do the packagers need to be advised to remove this, or should the
  flags work as intended?

  > Yes. If you could inform them, please do so. On Chrome M116 that
  flag got broken, unfortunately. The flag had absolutely no effect
  before that, actually. In the future it will be enabled automatically
  when supported. So it's a good idea to remove that flag from the
  config for all versions.