Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: mutter (Ubuntu)

  GNOME Magnifier: Performance issues with Pipewire and OBS

Status in Mutter:
  New
Status in PipeWire:
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in pipewire package in Ubuntu:

  Timeline:

  1. (March 11, 2023) I have uploaded a video regarding the problems with GNOME
Magnifier.
  https://odysee.com/@GraysonPeddie:6/gnome-mag-obs:5

  2. (March 11, 2023) I filed a bug report on Pipewire.
  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/issues/3087

  3. (March 14, 2023) I uploaded another short video with pw-top (Pipewire)
running on the terminal.
  https://odysee.com/@GraysonPeddie:6/gnomemag-pwtop-obs-pipewire:d

  4. (March 14, 2023) I filed a bug report on GNOME Mutter's issue tracker and
referenced the two videos and a bug report from Pipewire, but I get no response
from the Mutter team.
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/2698

  Affected GNOME versions and why I am filing the bug here:

  This affects GNOME 42, GNOME 43, and GNOME 44. For GNOME 42 and 43, I
  used Nobara 36 and 37. Nobara is based on Fedora but includes patches
  for gaming and content creation.

  I wanted to try out GNOME 44 in Ubuntu 23.04 and I managed to run OBS
  with Pipewire Screen Sharing, but then the performance with GNOME
  Magnifier is very sluggish and it froze my entire computer. I've had
  to restart my computer, but for some reason, GNOME 44 won't load and
  I've had to go back to Nobara as that is my distro of choice for
  gaming. This issue with GNOME not loading is beyond the scope of the
  bug report.

  So in short, all the recent versions of GNOME (up to 44) are affected
  regardless of which Linux distribution I use.

  The reason why I need to file a bug here is because I do not get a
  response from the Mutter team and I'm at a standstill with Pipewire as
  they cannot diagnose the problem that I am having.

  I could test the issue in Ubuntu 22.04 and 22.10, but unfortunately, I
  do not have another computer to test. On top of that, even if I could
  install OBS in a live USB image of Ubuntu 22.04 and 22.10, I have an
  NVIDIA GPU and the GNOME Magnifier is sluggish with Nouveau driver,
  but again, that is beyond the scope of this issue that I am having.

  Specs:
  AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU
  32GB of RAM
  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  Resolution: 3840x2160 at 60Hz

  What I'm Expecting to Happen:

  The performance with GNOME Magnifier and Pipewire screen capturing
  with OBS should be smooth.

  Actual Behavior:

  Please refer to the two videos in the Timeline section.

  Steps to Reproduce:

  In order to reproduce an issue, OBS needs to be installed. However, I
  am not sure if this is only related to OBS, but that is the only
  software I use for screen capturing and with support for JACK.

  1. Open OBS.
  2. Under Sources, press the Add (+) button.
  3. Select "Screen Capture (Pipewire)."
  4. Select the monitor and press "Share." The screen capture should show up on
the preview area of OBS.
  5. Open the Settings from either the Overview or the Quick Settings Menu.
  6. Scroll down to Accessibility and turn on Zoom.

  Move your mouse around and you should see performance issues with
  GNOME Magnifier when doing screen capturing using Pipewire. This
  affects both Xorg and Wayland.

  Questions:

  Is there anything else that I am missing? Should I only test this in
  Ubuntu even though it's not Ubuntu-specific? Besides, the supported
  Ubuntu versions should all be affected by this issue.