Yes I too have believed for years there must be a feedback problem
causing this. The reason it's still not fixed is just that it's so
rare... every time I try to debug it the problem doesn't happen at all.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Display powersave only blanks, but does not turn off

Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  Recently upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04, and it seems like the power-saving
  feature in Gnome 42 does not actually turn off the screen(s) after X
  minutes, but just blanks them. When I manually run `xset dpms force
  off`, they do properly turn off and go to powersave mode.

     Release:   22.04

  2) gnome-settings-daemon:
    Installed: 42.1-1ubuntu2
    Candidate: 42.1-1ubuntu2

  3) In Settings -> Power -> Screen Blank, set the inactivity period to
  5 minutes. After 5 minutes, the screens should turn off.

  4) Screens go black, but remain active and consume (too much) power.
  ---
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  DistributionChannelDescriptor:
   # This is the distribution channel descriptor for the OEM CDs
   # For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
   canonical-oem-somerville-bionic-amd64-20190418-59+beaver-osp1+X00
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" - Build amd64 LIVE Binary
20190418-12:10
  Package: gnome-settings-daemon 42.1-1ubuntu2
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  Tags:  jammy
  Uname: Linux 5.15.0-27-generic x86_64
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to jammy on 2022-04-30 (3 days ago)
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dialout dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo vboxusers
video wireshark
  _MarkForUpload: True