Same issue.  It also appears that "larger" directories (with more files,
subdirs) take longer to open than "smaller" ones.  I don't think I
noticed the problem until moving to 23.X.

  File selector extremely slow

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  When you try to upload/download a file in an application (e.g.
  Firefox, Signal, etc) the file selector that opens is extremely slow
  to appear, search and change directory.

  Often times, if I try to search for a file in it, I have to wait 10 or
  more second before the letters I typed appear, and most of the time
  the last letter I pressed when typing, will appear before the rest of
  what I wrote, meaning I have to wait for my query to be deleted before
  I re-type it again.

  This has only just started since upgrading to Ubuntu 23.04.  I noticed
  that Nautilus has been faster in general since the update, but in the
  file selector specifically, it's become unusable.

  Package: nautilus 1:44.0-1ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME