I can confirm that still happens in Ubuntu 24.04 and executing

    update-alternatives --set x-cursor-theme
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/cursor.theme

fixes it,

  GNOME (non-Ubuntu) login screen mouse cursor is a semi-opaque white
  square (missing adwaita-icon-theme-full)

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Expired
  Expired

Bug description:
  Do not think this is hardware dependent, but I'm using an HPE
  MicroServer Gen10 Plus.

  I installed the server edition of 22.04.  Post-Installation, I added
  some desktop environments.  After logging in, these are working fine.

  However on the gdm login entry and password entry screens I had no
  mouse pointer icon.  A semi-opaque white square tracked the mouse
  movements.  My reading suggested that gdm defaults to using the cursor
  icon theme provided by the adwaita-icon-theme package.  I discovered
  this theme comes in two sizes, a basic, smaller package installed
  automatically and a larger "full" package.

  $ apt list 'adwaita-icon-theme*'
  Listing... Done
  adwaita-icon-theme/jammy,now 41.0-1ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
  adwaita-icon-theme-full/jammy,now 41.0-1ubuntu1 all [installed]
  $

  The gdm mouse pointer appears and disappears with installation and
  removal of the package "adwaita-icon-theme-full".  Either gdm's
  dependencies should include the "full" package OR the appropriate
  mouse pointer icons should be moved from the full to the basic
  "adwaita-icon-theme" package.