Seems like this bug actually affects Ambiance, though not much
noticable.

See attachment (I used 11.10 for comparison instead of downgrading GTK+
because it's quite a hassle to do it, but they do look similar before
the last GTK+ upgrade in 12.04).

** Attachment added: "11.10 and 12.04"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+3.0/+bug/926346/+attachment/2719457/+files/Screenshot%20at%202012-02-06%2021%3A36%3A40.png

Packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  The transparency around the Gnome menu icons is wrong after the latest
  update

Status in “gtk+3.0” package in Ubuntu:

  After the successful update from Alpha 1 to Alpha 2  i noticed that
  the transparency around the Gnome menu icons is wrong  and not as it
  used to be .

  Im attaching a Before - After screenshot   that i took  ( I reproduce it
doing a Alpha 1 install on the virtual machine and then upgrade to Alpha 2 )

  Package: libgtk-3-0 3.3.12-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 1.91-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64