GEdit 3.3.2 sets default to 'Recently Used Documents' folder, so, I
hope, this solves the issue

** Changed in: gedit (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  open/save dialog doesn't remember last folder across sessions

Status in “gedit” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gedit

  Open a new gedit instance, the open and save dialogs both default to
  the home folder. Now open or save a document in another folder, for
  example ~/Documents. From then on all further invocations of a dialog
  within this window will default to ~/Documents.

  Now open a new gedit window or close and reopen gedit or even just
  drag a new tab out of window #1 to create a new window. The dialogs in
  window #2 again default to the home folder instead of remembering the
  folder you last used to open or save a document.

  I very much doubt that is intended and by design but even if it was
  especially in case of the drag tab out of window it really makes no
  sense.

  I don't think upstream is very interested in this kind of usability
  bug. There are a few related bugs e.g.
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gedit/+bug/86989 unresolved
  for years. Gedit 2.9 in GNOME 3 is still affected.

  In case you came here looking for a solution, some kind of workaround:
  alt+1 switches to Documents, alt+D to documents, alt+f focuses the search
bar...
  seems to work in all gtk file dialogs.