We translated "look" as «aspecto» (lit. 'aspect') in Spanish. It is,
indeed, synonym of "appearance". I agree in the new wording suggested by
you, it seems more appropiate.

  "Look" is a synonym of "Appearance" but used as a subset

Status in Ayatana Design:
  New
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  gnome-control-center 1:3.2.2-2ubuntu6, Ubuntu Pangolin

  1. Open the "Appearance" panel of System Settings.

  What you see: "Look" and "Behavior" tabs.

  This does not make sense in two ways:
  (1) "Look" is a synonym of "appearance" (see
<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/look> definition 19), but is presented
as if it is a subset of appearance. (This may also cause localization problems,
if the two labels are translated using the same word, or when a language does
not have two different words for this meaning.)
  (2) "Behavior" is, at first thought, not appearance.

  The obvious way to fix this is to move the launcher size control to
  the second tab, rename the first tab "General", and the second
  "Launcher'.