Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: network-manager-applet (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  nm-applet leaks massive memory

Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04, I noticed nm-applet would leak huge
  memory when I leave my machine running overnight (or more). I would
  notice the machice is crawling, and top would reveal 50%+ of 4GB
  memory taken by nm-applet.

  I figured 2GB for the applet is tad too much ... It happened more than
  couple of times, I think.

  See attached screenshot of top output.

  Also, simple "killall nm-applet" won't kill it. I had to do "killall
  -9 nm-applet" to restore the memory and restart nm-applet manually.

  Ubuntu: 12.04

  $ dpkg -l | grep network-manager
  ii  network-manager
0.9.2.0+git201201101813.0b30200-0ubuntu2     network management framework
(daemon and userspace tools)
  ii  network-manager-gnome
0.9.2.0+git.20120126t000800.5151959-0ubuntu1 network management framework
(GNOME frontend)
  ii  network-manager-pptp                   0.9.0-0ubuntu2
          network management framework (PPTP plugin core)
  ii  network-manager-pptp-gnome             0.9.0-0ubuntu2
          network management framework (PPTP plugin GNOME GUI)

  It's likely going to happen again - if there is anything I could help
  collect when it happens again, I would be happy to do so.