If you were running Firefox with sudo, you'll run into issues.  Please run:
chown -R MYUSER:MYUSER ~/.mozilla
where MYUSER is your system user name.  Then try running Firefox normally
(firefox).

** Changed in: firefox (Ubuntu)

  Fresh 10.04 upgrade, firefox won't run

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:

  Upgraded to 10.04 from, I think it was 8.04? (it was pretty old).
  Everything seemed to go ok, except sound and firefox. I found some
  other web advice to do with fixing up alsa, so sound works now. But
  still firefox will not start.

  Click the icon, error window "Your Firefox profile cannot be loaded.
  It may be missing or inaccessible."

  Try to start from command line, same window, and the following error
  messages:

   (firefox:2781): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
  None of the authentication protocols specified are supported.
  /home/tina/.esd_auth: Permission denied

  I can check, and if /home/tina/.esd_auth actually exists, then I can
  remove it and try again, same result. Sometimes that .esd_auth
  reappears, sometimes it doesn't.

  I have moved .mozilla off to .mozilla_old, afaik I have no profiles,
  still can't open. I tried all sorts of options for firefox, like
  -safe-mode, -ProfileManager, etc., all the same.

  See als bug 23917
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gksu/+bug/23917), seems to be the
same problem, never solved. One potential problem there was full disks, I don't
think that's me:
  > df -kh
  /dev/sda1             9.2G  5.5G  3.3G  63% /
  none                  484M  280K  484M   1% /dev
  none                  488M  1.3M  487M   1% /dev/shm
  none                  488M  116K  488M   1% /var/run
  none                  488M     0  488M   0% /var/lock
  none                  488M     0  488M   0% /lib/init/rw
  /dev/sda3              56G   34G   20G  63% /data
  /dev/sda4             7.6G  6.7G  499M  94% /windoze

  Based on some other webpage, I rm -rf /tmp/.esd-1001/, but that didn't
  help.

  > uname -a
  Linux starbuck 2.6.32-38-generic #83-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 4 11:13:04 UTC 2012
i686 GNU/Linux

  > firefox -v
  Mozilla Firefox 10.0.1