I think I have found a workaround, for those running across this.
I posted some info here, in this similar bug.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/527157

The practical upshot of all this is that adding the kernel parameter
acpi_backlight="vendor"
seems to give me proper brightness levels across the board. There were some
side effects, namely my screen would go to sleep (due to the power manager
timer) and not wake up. I'd suggest setting your screen to never go to sleep
unless you close the lid. This "fixed" the comatose screen issue for me.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  Double brightness events after logging in.

Status in Gnome Powermanager:
  New
Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  output of lsb_release -rd
  Release:      11.10

  Package:
  gnome-settings-daemon:
    Installed: 3.1.90-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 3.1.90-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 3.1.90-0ubuntu1 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Expected result: At the login screen, brightness keys increase and
  decrease brightness by one step. After logging in, brightness keys
  continue to increase and decrease brightness by one step.

  Actual result: At the login screen, brightness keys increase and
  decrease brightness by one step (same as expected, OK.) After logging
  in, brightness increases and decreases by two steps whenever a
  brightness key is pressed.

  This specifically seems to apply to the POWER plugin for
gnome-settings-daemon. setting "active" to false via
  "gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power active false" returns
the behavior to normal, but removes the gnome power indicator. However, since
the battery indicator is present at the login screen, there must be a second
application, hotkey, etc, trying to change brightness.
  ---
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release amd64 (20111012)
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: upower 0.9.13-1
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  Tags:  oneiric running-unity
  UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare