I have the same problem on Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity3D.

Packages, which is subscribed to metacity in Ubuntu.

  Cannot alt + tab out of fullscreen games

Status in The Metacity Window Manager:
  Confirmed
Status in “metacity” package in Ubuntu:

  This bug happens on Ubuntu Dapper 64-bit running the GNOME desktop
  environment.  I have not tested it on Edgy or KDE.

  When running some full screen games, the ALT+TAB shortcut will not
  minimize the window and you are forced to exit in order to return to
  the desktop.  Full screen games I have found this to be true in
  include Tremulous (www.tremulous.net), Nexuiz (www.nexuiz.com),
  Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, and Unreal Tournament 2004
  (http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/).

  TO REPRODUCE THIS BUG:

  1.  Open up one of the above listed games.
  2.  Attempt to minimize the game with the ALT + TAB shortcut.