I noticed that if I change the mail folder to view then preview stops
displaying.

Packages, which is subscribed to evolution in Ubuntu.

  Evolution stops displaying preview of the messages utill restarted

Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:

  Evolution stops displaying messages preview after  few minutes of
  usage. On evolution restart it displayes preview for short time and
  again stops preview. The preview panel becomes blank.

  Do let me know if more information is required to solve this problem.

  Package: evolution 3.2.2-0ubuntu0.1
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-16-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386