I started looking at what it would take to implement javascript. The
problem is all the javascript in this pdf does is check the viewer
version and if > 7.0 loads the "XFA" plugin. The pdf contains a stream
with 600KB of XML starting with "<template
xmlns="http://www.xfa.org/schema/xfa-template/2.1/";>".

There is a 1500 page specification for XFA at
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/xml/xfa_spec_3_3.pdf

Needless to say, at this point I gave up.

Packages, which is subscribed to poppler in Ubuntu.

  PDF v1.7 asks to upgrade Adobe Reader

Status in Poppler:
  Confirmed
Status in “poppler” package in Ubuntu:

  Evince cannot read the pdf format created with Adobe 8.1.3
  This results in the file displaying the below message. Presumably, this is
the message that Adobe Reader 8.1.3 and higher will save into the pdf files for
readers that are only familiar with older pdf formats. This kind of
monopolizing is typical of closed source programs.
  ------------------------------------
  To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the
PDF viewer. You can upgrade
  to the latest version of Adobe Reader from
www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

  For further support, go to www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html
  -----------------------------------

  ------
  Original complaint is below. The complaint inaccurately attributes the
message to a mistake on the part of the linux pdf readers.
  ------
  Binary package hint: evince

  1) I am using Ubuntu 8.10 with all updates installed as of the time of
  this writing (Jan. 26, 2009).

  2) The version of the Evince Document Viewer is 2.24.1.

  3) What I expected:
  By opening the PDF in Adobe's PDF viewer, this PDF is a editable form with
text boxes, drop-down menus, check boxes, and two buttons to initiate emailing
or printing the form.

  4) What actually happened:
  This following message was displayed (within the document as though that is
what the document actually was):
  ------------------------------------
  To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the
PDF viewer. You can upgrade
  to the latest version of Adobe Reader from
www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

  For further support, go to www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html
  -----------------------------------

  No Linux or Ubuntu user should have to see a message like
  that...telling them they have to use non-free software.

  I am in the process of asking the author of the file information about
  how she made it...like what program she used, what version it is, and
  possibly what version of the PDF standard it is, in case that
  information would help.  I will edit this report and comment below if
  I have any new information.

  Sorry that I don't know if this is a truly an Evince bug or Poppler
  bug.  I am doing the best I can to help.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.10
  ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/evince
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: evince 2.24.1-0ubuntu1
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: evince
  Uname: Linux 2.6.27-9-generic i686