"fix commited" is not the appropriate status when you have a feature
request for one feature and implement a different one. I'd still like to
see an option for having global menu for maximzed windows and a normal
menu (not lim where i have to click an extra button to open the menu)
for the non-maximized windows.

Packages, which is subscribed to metacity in Ubuntu.

  Global menu is not ergonomical on large screens

Status in Ayatana Design:
  Fix Committed
Status in Compiz Core:
  In Progress
Status in Unity:
  In Progress
Status in “metacity” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in Baltix GNU/Linux:

  Global menu in general (not only in Unity) is very unergonomic on
  large screens (see the attached screenshot) because if you have a
  small window somewhere near the low right corner you have to move the
  cursor all the way up to to panel to reach the menu. I understand why
  the global menu was used for the netbook edition (it saves space and
  most windows are maximized), but since Unity is intended to be for the
  desktop edition there should be an option to switch to the traditional
  position of the app menu. It would be welcomed by many desktop users.

  A commonly suggested solution is:
   [ ] Global Menu on
   [ ] Global Menu off
   [ ] Global Menu only for maximized windows
  The default is usually suggested as either the first (on) or last (on only
for maximized windows).