Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu 9.04 reached EOL on October 23, 2010.
Please see this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

I've tried recreating this bug with Ubuntu 10.04 and was unable to,
given the information you've provided. Please either a) upgrade and test
or b) increase the verbosity of the steps to recreate it so we can try
again.

Please feel free to report any other bugs you may find.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  unable to connect to WPA-protected network

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: network-manager

  i'm using Jaunty (updated today) on a HP mini 2140 notebook,
  if i set my wifi network to unprotected, i can connect to it.

  but if i set it to wpa1, it does not work:

  networkmanager tries to connect to it,
  asks me the password, which i enter,
  then tries to connect for roughly a minute,

  then asks for the password again,
  i enter it, then it tries to connect for roughly a minute,
  then asks for the password again,
  and so on.

  the strange thing is, that when networkmanager
  asks for the password again,
  then in the text-field,
  where i should enter the password,
  a long hexa-string is pre-filled
  (and not the password i entered last time)

  (the laptop comes pre-installed with suse-enterprise-desktop 10,
  and when using that one, i am able to connect to the wpa1-protected network.)

  lspci says this about the wifi-hardware:

  08:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n
  Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)

  the hardware-drivers window says a binary driver called "Broadcom STA
  wireless driver" is currently used.