I can't confirm this bug. I just tested Thunderbird in Precise (with all
updates installed) and Greybird. See the attached screenshot.

** Attachment added: "Screenshot of Thunderbird in Precise"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+bug/856939/+attachment/2853648/+files/thunderbird_precise.png

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Default Thunderbird icons in Oneiric unusable with Greybird

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  the name says it all. i'll try to attach a screenshot to this report.

  the new default thunderbird icons in oeneric are just plain white and
  they show up very poorly, looking ugly and having very poor usability
  on the grey toolbar background of the xubuntu greybird theme.

  they probably look fine in unity, but xubuntu will have to do
  something about this before oeneric release.

  cheers,
  stephen.