It's not aliens, it is of course the kernel :)

   ThinkPads overheat due to slow fans when on 'auto'

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  "something" is performing a controlled system shutdown

Status in “gnome-session” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm not entirely sure where or why this is happening, but I have seen
  on ~5 occasions now my system spontaneously switch off.

  Initially, I thought it might be an init/kernel issue, but today I saw
  the problem occur twice and crucially, I also got to see the console
  and there was no kernel panic - the system was shutting itself down
  cleanly as if the user had typed, "sudo shutdown -h now" or selected
  "shutdown" on the Unity panel.

  I'm seeing this on a fully updated Precise system.  I'm wondering what
  higher-level parts of the system might possibly be invoking "/usr/lib
  /indicator-session/gtk-logout-helper --shutdown" or the D-Bus
  org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop() method?